Over the end of year period we all stop...or at least try to stop. We connect with family and friends. But importantly we connect with our self and what we have learnt, and how we wish to improve ways we work and engage with others. Self care comes into play.
The time away from my work, colleagues, and research for me is required. My time away is about renewal and reinvigoration. I want to take care of myself so I can continue to do what I love. A part of this is stopping and rethinking how I can do this. The stopping is the most important part of this process. Rest is vital. I also read about how others do this. I ask the question: How can I renew and reinvigorate our ways of working so that we can be smarter in our approaches?
An article Ihave read that has captured my attention is 12 Weekend Habits of Highly Successful People. This is what I have learnt…
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” – Aristotle
- The mind is the freshest in the morning so utilise these most productive hours.
- Purposefully plan. Intentions, not goals, are key here.
- Align goals and tasks for the day with a focus on 2 key items to be achieved per day.
- Make time to exercise each day. Find the sport or activity that you like.
- Exercise assists in counteracting the work dinners.
- Spend time with those who you care for – this is just as important as work deadlines.
- Make the time to spend with friends and family.
- Practicing mindfulness and meditation is a daily advantage to assist the mind, thinking and how you approach life.
- Resist FOMO (fear of missing out) and focus on JOMO (the joy of missing out) – for example, is it really that important to check your email late at night, first thing in the morning and on the weekend? Resist the checking and find balance.
- Give back and be generous. Re-energize your thinking in other areas.
- Use the weekend to do all the other things you love alongside of your work. Activity and reflection are the key to becoming refreshed to continue to work productively.
- Look after yourself and you must find balance.
What do you do to renew yourself at this time of the year?